Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Coma Dreams: An Ode to Cold Medicine

Yes, I am sick. Very sick. This abomination overtook my immune system this past weekend, and I am SUFFERING. I have a cold/sinus infection hybrid of some sort. I am actually a bit embarrased to be ill, as I am quite proud of my solid-as-a-rock immune forces. However, I did have a nearly-all-nighter last week, and I am dearly paying for it. The all-nighter was WORTH IT, as I aced both biology exam and formal biology write-up. So I suppose I made my deal rightly, ey?

ANYWHO...today was better than yesterday dealing with symptoms, as I was able to procure Puffs lovely lotion-ey goodness instead of wiping my nose with CCD sandpaper-esque toilet paper. My nose had quite a hemorrhoidal resemblance last night as a result of the all-day assault of cheap TP. I was able to remedy that look by smearing a thick layer of antibiotic ointment all over my nose before I went to bed and breathing the sweet, sweet mist of moist air from the humidifier Duane set up.

Today I had my work study job in the AM, and was able to pull through thanks to my stock of supplies: Ricola Honey Lemon cough drops, Nature's Way Umcka Cold Care, Emergen-C, heavy duty non-drowsy cold meds, and the usual suspects of orgeno oil and goldenseal.

Coming home I snagged some subway, including a chocolate chip cookie which my body was screaming for, and proceeded to conk out on the futon after watching the DVR-ed first edition of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. It wasn't too bad, but I felt like I was watching some kid nervously try to interview some of his friends using pre-existing inside jokes as sole material. The "Lick it for 10" was juvenile, but fleetingly entertaining for about 30 seconds. On a positive note, I find Jimmy incredibly charming, and I loved the "Slow Jamming the News" bit. The Roots are a great addition to the show. All in all, I think Jimmy is going to improve with each show, and really find his own groove. His nerves I think are part of who he is, but the extra jitters will definitely abate with time and practice. Hell, I'd be so nervous taking over this spot, and Jimmy has made no secret of what big shoes he must fill. I am really looking forward to seeing him gain more confidence and also find really cool ways to appeal to the younger demographic. The webisodes on his blog pre-launch of the show were incredibly promising and refreshingly innovative compared to the antiquated (IMHO) Leno template. I will definitely be watching to see how it all unfolds.

I have two quizzes tomorrow, so I better get crackalackin on studying. Adieu.