Monday, March 09, 2009

Good Decisions

Good decisions oftentimes don't appear at first to be entirely good. The one I made this morning was a good one, but I wasn't sure of it until just now.

Last day in Pysch today before our huge exam on Wednesday. This morning was like HELL getting out of here, thanks to me being freaked out when I am late/sick/awaiting period. Poor Duane. He doesn't have to be at work until 11, but gets me to school by 7:30 or 8:00am on Mondays. Today we left the house at 8:07; right before we left the house I had a nice freak out about the chloroseptic throat spray I wanted to take to class with me for the all day spree, but it was missing the plastic cap. 

ANYWHO... 

My voice is come and go, but I learned this weekend that my throat feels like bloody, raw flash by the end of the day if I talk too much with this sinus and throat sitch I have going on. And it also sounds like rubbish when I try to talk, so it works out on numerous levels. The first thing the professor says is that in psych we are each TEACHING an 8-9 minute session on a various portion of our chapter. Hell to the no. I came to class expecting a review like most others; not when I had to get into GROUPS, of all things, and put together 8-9 minutes of material for the class. Oh, I was certainly prepared to teach. I spent 5 hours yesterday outlining the chapter and making flashcards in anticipation of the exam this Wed. 

The parts of this plan that were not going to jive was 1. Me not talking today and 2. WORKING with groups in that class. Absolutely no one knows what they are doing, nor have they read the appropriate chapters EVER, so I would have been the only person that knew what was going on, and would have to carry the group. Not today, people. No one is getting a free ride on the Andrea train. 

After 10 minutes of hell, I approached the professor and excused myself from class, seeing that my lack of voice today wouldn't make this specific studying exercise effective whatsoever. After I ducked out of class, I headed over to the Tivoli to work on my stats homework that I haven't touched yet. After sitting in the Tivoli for approximately 15 minutes trying to study in the "designated study area," I was forced to listen to a ridiculous conversation between two girls at the table next to mine. Somehow everyone else studying in the area wasn't a clue that this wasn't a "Let's chat about how I need to get my wedding reception deposit back from Crystal Rose because I need money, I don't have a job, and my in-laws can't front me the dough because they work at Wal-Mart" environment. 

After about 30 minutes of contemplation, I decided to head home, eat lunch, take a nap, finish my stats homework, and then head back to class. I am currently in my post-nap time, about to start my stats homework. Hopefully the contents will make much more sense now when I have chicken noodle soup and an orange popscicle in my belly, a half hour of sleep under my belt (damn Daylight Savings!), a hot tea next to me, and the humidifier running at full speed. My Bio lecture starts in 2 minutes, but I can go over meiosis on my own time. I should be back in time to waltz into my Philosophy class in a remarkably more improved state than that of this morning, and pumped to discuss Euthyphro in all his so-called pious glory.