Thursday, February 27, 2003


"You are the only one like you."

Fred Rogers passed away today, and I am crying right now. Like most everyone else my age, I watched Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood religiously when I was growing up. I loved watching him feed his fish, I loved Trolly, and I loved watching him put on his "comfy" shoes.

If you would like, you can listen to all the songs from his show at the Mr. Rogers PBS site. AWWW! Remember X the Owl? And Prince Tuesday? And King Friday? This is indeed a sad day. I'll leave you with one of my favorite Rogers songs, "It's You I Like." I think it about sums up everything Fred stood for. But again, if you want to hear this and other MRN songs, go to the PBS site!

It's you I like,
It's not the things you wear,
It's not the way you do your hair--
But it's you I like
The way you are right now,
The way down deep inside you--
Not the things that hide you,
Not your toys--
They're just beside you.


But it's you I like--
Every part of you,
Your skin, your eyes, your feelings
Whether old or new.
I hope that you'll remember
Even when you're feeling blue
That it's you I like,
It's you yourself,
It's you, it's you I like.