Tuesday, February 18, 2003


You turn every head but you don't see me

I think I know why there are people my age that want to get married. Although I am in no way shape or form ready for marriage right now, I see where it could be a good thing. People want to get their life "started," and to them, this would include finding their soulmate. Hell, I want to find my soulmate but I am in no rush to get the whole process over with. I want to be married once, and that's it. I don't want to make a horrible mistake and have to grow my own soul back.

If I were to find my soulmate tomorrow, for example, I do wonder how long we would wait until we got married. Six months? One year? Three years? Would I finish my undergrad education before we tied the knot? Would I finish grad school before taking the leap? Truth be told, I have NO idea.

The crazy thing about all this relationship goober is that there are no definite answers. Everything is relative. And don't we love to fit everything in our lives into a perfect little box? Maybe some things. Although I am a more "absract" person myself, part of me longs for a rule book on such matters. But where is the surprise in that? Where's the "magic" associated with romantic feelings? With a rule book of sorts, part of that mystery is taken away! We can't have that. Oh, we are strange creatures, indeed. We play hard to get with those we really care for. We don't say what we mean oftentimes because we don't want to be vulnerable. Of course that is understandable; we don't want to get hurt. But part of me thinks that when it comes to THE ONE, all those shenanigans won't really matter. Or at least I'd like to think so.

Ah, well. If only our soulmates could be identified by a huge sign, screaming, "ITS ME! ITS ME!" That would rule. But that's not going to happen. And where's the mystery in that? Mystery, shmystery, ey? I don't even know. I just don't want to be 40 and going out on a "hot date." But that just might be the case. We'll see.